Thursday, July 10, 2008

A Work of Art - My Sink

Many of you, I'm sure, have heard of FlyLady by now. I used to be a regular visitor to her site... get all the emails, etc. Now I've basically settled on a few of her principles and have worked out my own system for doing things.

One thing of hers that I still do regularly is keep my kitchen sink sparkling. There really is something magical about having a shiny sink. I've made a very simple observation in my home: If my sink is dirty, it will accumulate dishes as the day goes on until there's a mountain of them growing in there. (Oh gosh, remember the maintenance principle?) If it's clean, I can't stand to have a single glass or dish in my nice shiny sink and will promptly remove it and place it in the dishwasher where it belongs. Why oh why I can't get my family members to learn this principle is beyond me. They are all males and don't care one whit about a perfectly shiny sink...

To get your stainless steel sink to sparkle, fill it with hot water and some bleach. Let it soak for about an hour or so. Drain. It SHINES! Trust me, you won't want one dirty dish in there marring the perfection. It's a work of art.

(You can find her site at flylady.net)