Wednesday, September 24, 2008

EASY Fall Centerpiece

Recently, my youngest son and I went out apple picking. We quickly set about hunting down the most perfect of all apples. It became a fierce competition between us at which I sorely lost. My apples somehow always fell short of that mark... according to Brandon.

We arrived home with our bags packed with fruity perfection. I stood at the sink washing and polishing these gorgeous round red orbs until they became works of art when inspiration hit. Why not display these somehow as a table centerpiece. I found a large, dark wooden bowl and filled it to overflowing with these apples... the perfect ones on top... mine relegated to the very bottom of the bowl...(sigh). I tucked some greenery in and around the apples and stood back to admire my work.

It's simple, but yet elegant sitting on my table. A perfect centerpiece for the beginning of fall. And what's best of all... it's so easy to swap it out when the apples have all been eaten. Come October, you can then fill the bowl with uniquely-shaped gourds and small pumpkins and colorful fall leaves, perhaps even in the center tuck a fat ivory pillar candle.

Once Christmas season hits, you could very easily fill this same bowl with Christmas bulbs and evergreen and tiny white lights...

I think I'm onto something here. Just grab yourself a nice decorative bowl and have fun!